Interview Blog 2, Beekeeping Environments

Cidette Rice
Mr.Roddy
IHSS
5/19/2020

Interview Blog 2, Beekeeping Environments 

Beekeeping put you in a lot of interesting environments and places, some more preferable than others. Last summer my mom, my brother Nathan and I traveled to Ashland, Oregon to attend a national beekeeping conference. As you can expect from a national beekeeping conference there’s a white variety of people from a wide variety of places, there were even some Canadians. I didn’t gain an interest in beekeeping until spring of 2020, so this beekeeping conference was more of an excuse for Nate and I to go sightseeing in California and Oregon while my mom attended the conference. Beekeeping conferences have also taken my mom to Cuba in beekeeping conferences have also taken my mom to Cuba, Tennessee and West Texas. As a beekeeper who likes keeping up with the newest advancements in American beekeeping, you have to have the means to travel. However, this is not always true, seeing as there’s local beekeeping alliances and clubs you can join right here in Houston. For example my mom is treasurer of the Houston beekeeping association and organization in which anyone can attend the meetings and become a member no matter your beekeeping background (even if it’s non-existent).
I bring up beekeeping and environments because I recently worked with the hive while sweat was pouring down my face. When I first was interested in beekeeping, I understood that beekeeping is outdoor work just like farming and gardening, and that I would have to face the same elements that everyone else does. Nothing quite puts the idea of working bees outdoors in perspective like working a hive and being unable to determine whether that tickling feeling on your back is sweat or a bee. When you’re in that situation it’s just best to ignore it, because you are way more likely to get stung if you make a move to touch your back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prisoners Design What They Can't Buy- Luke

Josey - The Fashion Industries Effect on the Enviroment

Recovering Ecosystems