Reflection Blog: Nora Mayral Boyle

Nora Mayral Boyle
Dr. Roddy
Integrated history and Social Sciences
15 May 2020
Reflection Blog: Nora Mayral Boyle


I learned a lot about civic engagement, even though the rise of the coronavirus in our country and area Coronavirus and its subsequent ‘side effects’ restricted our engagement process. My issue was gun violence in schools, and it was exciting to find such an issue that I was passionate about and be able to explore the issue and interview people affected by it. At first I was unsure how my engagement would take place, but then I learned about the Bellaire High School shooting that had occured a little while before. The Bellaire High School shooting gave me an opportunity to reach out to students my age to discuss such issues with people the very that are affected by. In addition, I already knew these people, so our interaction felt more comfortable than I imagined talking to a student I didn’t know would be, as it is a very serious issue. My interviews were both quite successful. I had talked to both my interviewees beforehand to the extent they felt comfortable talking about, so I knew where a question would cross the line. Both my interviewees gave me a lot of information, and helped me form a narrative. Their interviews helped me create my infographic on gun violence in schools, and how it truly affects students, their mental health, and how safe they felt at school as a whole. I feel like I can continue helping this issue by simply voicing my opinion on the matter, and supporting organizations like Everytown, and their sub-organizations, and doing what I can to help the  mission. I truly believe that civic engagement is very important  on both local and statewide and national levels,  as  well  as beyond. People should be able and  feel comfortable sharing their opinions and seeking help  to make their voices heard. Also, if citizens wish to see change,it’s important that they  speak their minds on the matter and try to help out as much as they can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prisoners Design What They Can't Buy- Luke

Josey - The Fashion Industries Effect on the Enviroment

Recovering Ecosystems