Anthropology - Ariela Kluk

Ariela Kluk


Mr. Roddy


IHSS


8/24/20


I found the Nacirema tribe’s exotic customs very unique and some of their traditions which I have never heard before very strange. One thing I found strange was their obsession with mouths and how there rituals and treatments destroyed them and caused tooth decay instead of healing them. I do not understand why the people would pay to go to the temple where intense rituals take place when the rituals can cause them to die. Although I was fascinated by how strongly the tribes believed in the rituals and how if they did not practice the rituals they thought their teeth would fall out, their lovers would disappear and a variation of other horrible things would happen to them. I respect how they follow there believes very well and how their traditions were the center of their lives. I was weirded out learning about how They put themselves through pain during these rituals so that these horrible things won’t happen to them causing them to be masochistic and sadistic. I would believe that the tribes would share rituals with each other but to my surprise, The rituals were private and only told to the children.


 I noticed how the civilization has evolved, in their tribes having more money meant they had more shrines and were able to go to the temples and to have the rituals take place when today there are more options and more variation in beliefs. I found it interesting how the females where subjected to harassment when in the temple and treated like objects but used it to their advantage by using their body’s do make money. I found it interesting and confusing how the infants were not raised by there mothers and how talking about having sexual intercourse is taboo and showing their naked bodies was not normal but for rituals, they would strip their clothes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prisoners Design What They Can't Buy- Luke

Josey - The Fashion Industries Effect on the Enviroment

Recovering Ecosystems