IHSS Coming of Age Rituals - Muskawama

 Miriam (Isabelle) Saxon

Mr. Roddy 

IHSS

September 14, 2020


Muskawama


In IHSS class we have been talking a lot about coming of age rituals, however most of the ritals we discuss the ritual I am writing about is a little closer to home. I spend my summers in northern Wisconsin at a camp called Red Pine. It is an all girls sleep away camp. The camp is 78 years old and one of it’s oldest traditions is Muskawama. Muskawama is a day long ceremony that symbolizes the transition from girl to young women. In which you will go through three main ceremonies one at Sunrise, one at Midday, and the last and most important at Sunset. Most people go through it when they're 13 or 14. I went through it last year when I was 14 and my mom went through it at 13 when she was a camper in the 80’ds. Part of the tradition is the mystery surrounding it you don’t get to know what actually happens on Muskawama until you go through it. If you are at the age when you do go through it you are told at the begging of the camp session that you will be woken up early and asked if you would like to participate, and that at some point during the day you will be blindfolded and that you need to pick an older girl who has already had her Muskawama to be your guild. Other than that you do not know anything else besides the rumors and speculation. One of the most common topics with my cabin last year was guessing what day Muskawama was going to be “none of us got it right” and I have to say being awoken at 4 in the morning was pretty jarring. You're asked by one of the counselors in training who run Muskawama if you want to be a part of it. If you do, they will write the words LSL on the back of both of your hands in large black letters. LSL is the acronym associated with Muskawama you wouldn’t get to know what it means till the sunset ceremony. The day starts with the Sunrise ceremony in which you swear to not divulge the full details of what happens at the two other ceremonies, so I can’t say exactly what happens at each. The Sunrise was my least favorite because it lasts two hours and starts at 4 in the morning. The Midday ceremony happens in the large camp gathering hall, and is where you receive your Muskawama bracelet. Jewelry is a common theme in many coming of age rituals. Lastly the Sunset ceremony is the last and most important. The location of the ceremony is secret and you are blindfolded on your way their, it was hands down the most disordenting thing I have done. I had no idea where I was. The Sunset ceremony was my favorite taking place around a bonfire; it is all about community, friendship, and growth. 

Muskawama, while not the most elaborate coming of age ceremony, was really important for me. Each of the ceremonies deals with trust of the community around you and your personal growth. While elements of the tradition have changed since my mother went through it to how I experienced it was still special to be able to go through the same coming of age ceremony that she got experience at my age. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prisoners Design What They Can't Buy- Luke

Josey - The Fashion Industries Effect on the Enviroment

Recovering Ecosystems