Challenge Project Reflection Blog

For the engagement aspect of my challenge project, I contacted several experts in child development and psychology and established a blog on the subject of child abuse with a focus on cultural differences. At first when I was trying to find contacts, it was frustrating when there weren’t responses but it’s important to be able to move on and find more sources. As I was interviewing and collecting  information, it was necessary to continue researching even after having written a paper on the subject. I found that there learning about different ways to get involved required its own set of research so further exploration on the topic was helpful.

Even though I didn’t conduct many interviews, I still learned a lot about the inner workings of child services from a workers experience. I wanted to share that information along with the other things I researched. I think that it’s important to not limit research to solo interpretations of sources and be open to talking with people who have personal experience or extended knowledge about the topic. Even one person can open up a lot of information about an aspect of the topic that hadn’t been touched on before.

While I was investigating different child protective service websites, I found an opportunity to volunteer from home. I was initially planning on spreading awareness as my form of community engagement, but there is always more that can be done in terms of activism. So to compile everything into one place, I started a blog where I will record my volunteering experience and I am also thinking of putting up data about child abuse, explaining disproportionality, and writing about different parenting techniques around the world to bring awareness to how culture overlaps with our perception of child abuse. Since it’s a blog, it will probably be ongoing and I will be trying to continue updating it throughout the year.

Blog Link: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prisoners Design What They Can't Buy- Luke

Josey - The Fashion Industries Effect on the Enviroment

Recovering Ecosystems