Final Challenge Project Reflection Blog

Alex Gross
Mr. Roddy
IHSS
20 May 2020
IHSS - CP: Reflection Blog

For my Challenge Project on Antisemitism I overall learned more than I ever thought I would have. I started my research paper thinking that all I would do is talk about Antisemitism, and possibly attend an activism event. I started to see this project as more of an opportunity then a requirement, which I really think stuck with me throughout the entire process and changed my work ethic as well as the end result of the work I put out. Although this opportunity became impossible due to the coronavirus, I feel that what I was able to do instead was actually much more impactful. After writing my Challenge Project research paper I decided that I would focus on not just the problem that Antisemitism is, but also how unrecognized it is. I reached out for many interviews but did not get many responses. I ended up interviewing my dad which was basically my guaranteed one, and Sarah Yonas, the Texas regional leader for an international Jewish youth group, who I reached out to as I was desperate not thinking she would respond. I heard many personal stories from my dad that really made me think about how I had never even heard these 5 awful times he had faced Antisemitism, even up to death threats. Ms. Yonas taught me about how to combat Antisemitism which is most primarily done through social media for one reason, younger people are on social media. She taught me that while it is important to educate the adult population on this, the kids are the ones who will be leading and forming their own opinions very soon. She also said that something as simple as going out and doing good deeds while wearing Jewish garb could be enough to show that not all Jews are bad automatically (which I discovered is a somewhat common mindset held by Anti Semites from my interviews with my dad). She also said that something as basic as spreading education could destroy this problem at the root. That was what I was trying to do with the website about Antisemitism that I created. I had 5 blogs, and each said a bit of important information that could help lead to more education of youth. I think I will go further into this issue thanks to this project because I grew a great passion for it that I did not have before when all I had in common with this was that I was Jewish. Sarah Yonas introduced me to many new possibilities of organizations and groups to join to help combat Antisemitism, and how to spread positivity to others, and my dad taught me how common this issue is among us. Using statistics, history, and first person accounts I think it is possible to create real change and end this form of hate that has gone on for thousands of years, which would be a large step for Jews, and a minor step towards overall world peace. Thank you for this amazing opportunity, and all of the great curriculum this year. See you next fall Mr. Roddy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prisoners Design What They Can't Buy- Luke

Josey - The Fashion Industries Effect on the Enviroment

Recovering Ecosystems